Divecha Centre for Climate Change, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru organizing Free Training Program on Glacier Studies & Remote Sensing by IISc Bangalore. Here you will get all information about this 12-day free training by the IIS Bengaluru.
Free Training Program on Glacier Studies & Remote Sensing by IISc Bangalore
The Himalayan region has a large concentration of glaciers and seasonal snow. Recent advances in remote sensing technologies have made it possible to study previously unexplored Himalayan cryosphere. These studies are essential to understanding the water security of a large population living in Indo-Gangetic plains. India’s lack of trained human resources makes it difficult to generate reliable information on glaciers using remote sensing techniques.
Therefore, proper training in extracting glaciology information from remote sensing data is necessary, and we also need to attract talented young people in this field. Therefore, Divecha Centre for climate change organizes training for young students who wish to work in glaciology.
Faculty members of the Divecha Centre for Climate Change will deliver lectures. In addition, well-known faculties will be invited as guest faculty. A Series of tutorials and practical sessions will be enriched the training.
Join our Telegram Channel for Daily updates
About Divecha Centre for Climate Change
Divecha Centre for Climate Change was established at the Indian Institute of Science in January 2009 with a generous financial contribution from Arjun and Diana Divecha and the Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment.
The primary goal of this centre is to understand climate variability and climate change and its impact on the environment. The Centre has undertaken outreach activities to create awareness among people and policymakers about climate change and its consequences. This has been done through workshops, lectures and quiz contests. An annual invited public lecture called the ‘Jeremy Grantham Lecture on Climate Change’ has been organized.
1. Distribution of Glaciers and snow cover Overview of Cryosphere, Importance of glaciers, precipitation and formation of snow, distribution of glaciers/snow
2. Application of remote sensing in glaciology Fundamentals of Remote Sensing, Glacier inventory, Estimation of glacier mass balance, glacier depth, moraine-dammed lakes, snow cover and snow albedo
3. Climate and climate change Climate change and climate variability, General circulation of atmosphere and oceans, impacts of aerosols
4. Monitoring of glaciers Physical and morphological properties of snow and glaciers, Development of algorithms and glacier modelling, Glacier Lake Outburst Flood
5. Glacier Mass Balance Concept of glacier mass balance, methods of glacier mass balance estimationGlaciological, Geodetic and AAR methods, the concept of ELA, IAAR method
6. Ice and Snow ablation Physics of snowmelt, heat budget and radiation. Snowmelt runoff model.
Eligibility: Post Graduate M.Sc., M.Tech., M.E. and PhD students from recognized Institutes/Universities.
Last date for application submission: 07 March 2022
Intimation to selected candidates: 14 March 2022
No registration fees for the trainees.
Dr. Anil V Kulkarni
Distinguished Scientist Divecha Centre for Climate Change Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Registration: Aspirants can enrol their names through the Link:
Official link: Click here