The Inspiring Women in Science award by Nature honour and promote the contributions made by women in science, as well as all those who work to inspire young girls and women worldwide to pursue professions in STEM fields.
Inspiring Women in Science award by Nature
The awards’ range is reflected in the two award categories—
- Science Outreach and
- Scientific Achievement
that best characterise the work they honour.
The awards, which were created in collaboration with The Estée Lauder Companies, are intended to recognise and honour the contributions of women in science as well as all those who seek to inspire girls and young women to pursue STEM-related fields of study and careers. Natural sciences, technology, engineering, math, and medicine all fall under the umbrella of STEM.
- 30th January 2023: The application window opens
- 8th May 2023 11:59 PM UTC/GMT: Application window closes
- September 2023: Shortlist announced
- October 2023: The winner announced
As we have discussed there will be two categories of the award. So, let’s discuss the first one.
Catagorie-1: Science Outreach Category
The Science Outreach Category of the Nature Awards for Inspiring Women in Science honours projects that encourage girls and young women to become interested in, love, and study STEM fields OR to promote the retention of women in STEM fields. Natural sciences, technology, engineering, math, and medicine all fall under the umbrella of STEM.
These programmes may be run by an individual, an organisation, or a governmental, educational, philanthropic, or corporate institution.
For corporate entities, the efforts should be a component of a corporate social responsibility programme rather than being essential to running the business.
- Applications from organizations, departments, individuals (of any gender) or project teams wil be accepted.
- girls or young women to engage with and study natural sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine OR
- increased retention of women in STEM careers, with a focus on providing tools to support women through their career progression in a STEM discipline.
Entries must have displayed extraordinary foresight, wisdom, and/or creativity, as well as how they support, encourage, or promote the interest of girls and/or women in STEM fields.
Must read: Royal Society of Chemistry IUPAC Global Women’s Breakfast 2023, Register now for free
The second category will be
Catagorie-2: Scientific Achievement Category
Early-career female researchers are honoured by the Nature Awards for Inspiring Women in Science – Scientific Achievement Category. The chosen candidate will have significantly advanced science and may have overcome considerable obstacles on both a personal and professional level. The candidate will also demonstrate the ability to form and oversee an independent research team. Additionally, they are looking for individuals who have supported the retention of women in science careers or taken steps to encourage the next generation of scientists.
Candidates must possess a PhD, a medical degree, or another sort of dissertation-based doctorate. A PhD, or doctorate by dissertation, is a postgraduate academic degree that is granted by a university or higher education institution to an applicant who has presented a thesis or dissertation that is the result of in-depth research in their field of study.
Candidates must have earned their PhD, medical degree, or another sort of doctorate by dissertation within the previous ten years.
- The winners of the Nature Awards for Inspiring Women in Science, Science Outreach category will receive US$50,000 as the prize.
- The organizer’s invitation to the prize presentation in London, with lodging and travel costs covered.
- Apart from this an invitation to present their work or initiative to the scientists at The Estée Lauder Companies
To encourage women in the research and development activity Nature has taken a good initiative. This Inspiring Women in Science award by Nature motivates the women researcher to do their best in STEM.