The Tarbell Fellowship 2023 is a year-long program called for aspiring journalists who want to change the world. Tarbell Fellowship 2023 application open now.
What is the Tarbell Fellowship?
The Tarbell Fellowship is a year-long program for early-career journalists interested in improving the world. Fellows receive a stipend of up to $50,000, mentorship from experienced journalists, and training to write about the world’s most important problems.
The fellowship offers a rare chance to produce outstanding journalism on subjects like global poverty and existential hazards that could have a significant influence on the lives of billions of people.
A stipend of up to $50,000 is given to fellows to help with placements at prestigious magazines and independent freelance reporting. The program includes knowledgeable lecturers, criticism and mentoring from seasoned journalists, as well as a two-week journalism summit in Oxford. After graduating, we anticipate fellows to contribute their viewpoint on effect to significant newsrooms and publications all around the world.
How long is the fellowship?
The fellowship is for twelve months. All fellows are subject to a 3-month probationary period.
- Stipend. Depending on the situation, fellows can get stipends of up to $50,000 to advance their journalism careers. We anticipate that stipends will range from $35,000 to $50,000 depending on the area and the individual.
- Mentorship. Each fellow will be matched with an experienced journalist. Mentors will provide critical feedback and challenge the fellow to set goals and deliver on them. They’ll conduct fortnightly mentorship calls and connect mentees with their network.
- Training. Fellows will participate in remote sessions each week as a cohort. This will include training in best practices, talks from experts in the field and challenging assignments designed to build skills.
- Oxford Summit. Fellows attend a two week summit in Oxford at the beginning of the fellowship (March 1st – March 14th 2023). This will be an intensive fortnight of guest speakers, workshops and networking events in Oxford / London. Travel and accommodation costs will be fully covered.
Eligibility for Tarbell Fellowship 2023
A commitment to improving the world. Many fellows will have a demonstrated passion for and familiarity with one or more of our areas of interest.
The applicant must have Previous newsroom experience (including at student newspapers) or comparable experience in a field such as law or research is desirable but not necessary. We seek to support early-career journalists and will prioritise potential over experience.
A creative approach to storytelling combined with the ability to quickly get to the heart of a new topic. Fellows must be able to produce compelling copy under tight deadlines.
The ability to doggedly pursue your goals and persevere in the face of adversity. Fellows must be willing to work hard, and be capable of withstanding repeated rejection
The desire to understand the truth of any given story, even when it conflicts with prior beliefs. Fellows must be open to criticism and recognize ways they can improve their writing and thinking.
Last date to apply
From March 1st, 2023, through February 29th, 2024, the Tarbell Fellowship will be in effect.
By 11:59 p.m. on October 9, 2022, applications will be closed.
This application form includes four sections
- About you, including your CV.
- Short questions about your suitability for the Tarbell Fellowship.
- Multiple choice questions to understand your motivation and thinking style.
- 1-3 writing sample(s) (500-2000 words) to assess your writing skills.
Click here to apply online: Click here
In this post, we discussed the Tarbell Fellowship 2023 application open. If you are eligible to apply then you should not miss the chance this great chance.
Join our Exclusive Telegram Channel for all the latest News and Updates